What do you do when your Home ISP is down?

Mark Keymer mark at viviotech.net
Thu Aug 18 17:21:57 UTC 2011

I am wondering what some of you guys do when your home ISP is down. At
least those of you that don't give yourself internet.

I myself have a cable provider at home that I use. And I find it quite
frustrating to call and report issues in there network, because the
people in the call center have you do the same things every time and are
not very technical.

Just the other week I could see fairly clearly that I was getting routed
through there network and then started to have issues in a town about 3
hours away. I tried to explain this to the rep but they thought we
needed to reboot my modem. Surprise that didn't work. I mostly called
just to put in a FYI having issues here, please have the smart people
look into it. It is my understanding that they need to get X amount of
calls before things get escalated. Granted I am sure they monitor there
network too. But I called about 10 mins after the routing issues started
to happen and there was no notifications that there was any issues. Even
after being on the phone with them for 20? mins. Still they showed all
is good and that it must just be me.

I know we have a wide range of people here some of which work for my
Home ISP. and would love some feedback.

Sincerely,

Mark Keymer