Verizon Business - LTE?

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Wed Aug 17 06:52:03 UTC 2011

Subject: Re: Verizon Business - LTE? Date: Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:49:38AM -0400 Quoting chris (tknchris at gmail.com):
> Overall, IMO the trends are just seem to be going backwards. We have more
> speed but we can use it less? What kind of technology advancement is that?
>
> I've had "unlimited" gprs, edge, 3g, and never really seen any kind of
> actual cap. Sure they were slower but I didn't have to worry about getting
> surprised on my next bill. If my edge from 5+ years ago could 3gb/day and
> 90gb a month how is 4G at 5gb an improvement of the service?

In Sweden, I've seen several people in public transportation run
Bittorrent clients on 3G. There might have been 9g a month for you
back then, but nobody else did it. Now, every laptop has a 3G card. And
they're getting used. With a sensible distribution of users over cells,
the bottleneck is backhaul. Many towers started out with a couple bundled
E1 circuits. Upgrading them to Ethernet over something (because Ethernet
is the new black) costs a lot, apparently.

OTOH, never underestimate "Because we can".

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668