NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Aug 16 23:48:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Charles N Wyble
<charles at knownelement.com> wrote:
> What kind of UPS? Seems most here prefer APC. Perhaps that's a topic for
> another thread...

I can usually get used APC SmartUPSes on the cheap. When the batteries
go bad or are removed, they play dead. They don't turn themselves off,
but the next time they lose power they won't turn back on. They become
completely unresponsive. No lights. No response to the buttons.
Nothing.

Because they play dead, people think they are dead and sell them "for
parts." 9 times out of 10, the only "part" needed is a new battery.

With a little patience I can generally get the AP9605 ethernet SNMP
card for the smartupses on eBay for well under ten bucks. Name brand
snmp managed ups for the price of dirt. Why would I use anything else?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004