Exploiting a non-facilities CLEC relationship

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Tue Aug 16 06:08:09 UTC 2011

On 08/15/2011 10:14 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Graham Wooden wrote:
> If I understand your question, yes.  We did this some time ago.  Colo
> in various ILEC and CLEC central offices,

Um. Doesn't colo in various ILEC/CLEC CO == facilities based CLEC?

> order T1 loops (but it's only half a loop...from customer to CO), so
> you're saving there, and because you're ordering it as a CLEC, most
> people would be shocked how cheap a T1 can be. Connect the various
> colos together with a network of T1's and T3's (especially if you can
> establish a relationship with a carrier who's on-net in all or most of
> the COs you want to be in), and you're set.

Interesting. Can't you just ride the existing network between the CO
locations? For a fee of course, but I would think it could be all
ethernet based and just pay per mb or something?

> Someone looking to start this model now, I'd say is about 10 years
> late, 5 years too late.

Yeah. Building ones own network is a bit... difficult. At least to serve
on a competitive basis.

--
Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com @charlesnw on twitter

http://blog.knownelement.com

Building alternative,global scale,secure, cost effective bit moving platform
for tomorrows alternate default free zone.