Exploiting a non-facilities CLEC relationship

Graham Wooden graham at g-rock.net
Tue Aug 16 03:00:23 UTC 2011

Folks,

Is it possible/common for a non-facilities-based CLEC (we call them paper
based) to start getting loops pulled for themselves, and to start physically
handling the circuits without becoming a full fledged facilities based CLEC?

To clarify ... We have a new customer who is just that ... A non-facilities
based CLEC. They don't want to resell AT&T's network anymore as they want to
start building their own network, little bit at a time.

I was thinking .. Well, shoot .. If all they want to do is sell Internet T1s
(for example), then have them pulled back to a collo somewhere over a
channelized DS3 on the backend and an equivalent speed internet connection
the front - and they will be on their way ...

So the question remains ... will they still be able to capture the savings
of getting such loops because they are a CLEC, if indeed they are not
'facilities based' and just handling the loops as if they were the customer?
I believe they have no intentions on becoming a facilities based CLEC.

Make sense? This is somewhat new territory for me - as I never had (or
really wanted to) dive into how a CLEC operates before. But I want to
exploit that as much as possible if it means wicked cheap loops!

Thanks,

-graham