seeking pointers on the topic of 'name server registration'

Brian Reichert reichert at numachi.com
Tue Aug 16 02:57:16 UTC 2011

I posted this request in another forum, but didn't get as much info as I'd
hoped:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.operators.internet-access/5568/match=nameserver+registration

To reprise in _this_ forum:

I apologize for the noise; I hope this is an appropriate forum.

I've been hosting DNS for years for several domains.  Recently, I
have had to rename/renumber my primary servers, and need to update
various registrars of these changes.

Most registrars seem fine with me just supplying the names of the
new nameservers; they chase the A records, and generate the glue
records, and off I go.

One of these registrars (NetSol) introduces a topic I've never been
aware of before, this concept of 'name server registration'.

Web searching shows me several hits along the lines of 'how to
register namesevers with registrar X', but I can't find a treatment
of:

- Is this anything more than generating glue records?

- Why is this explicit step neccessary for some registrars, but not
  others?

I'd appreciate any advice...

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert at numachi.com>