NANOG Digest, Vol 43, Issue 53

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Aug 13 19:27:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Dorn Hetzel <dorn at hetzel.org> wrote:
> Well, I would like to convert the whole outside mess to fiber to eliminate
> this problem, and the per-foot price of 6 or 12 strand single mode cables is
> pretty reasonable nowadays...  But, I'm not very current on the most
> economical methods for splicing and terminating the fiber, which of course I
> would need to do on a "personal" sized budget.  Any suggestions?

Amp Lightcrimp Plus (NOT Lightcrimp XTC). Very easy to use, almost as
easy as terminating copper. But good luck finding it cheap, at least
for my definition of "cheap."

The alternative is: you can hunt eBay for preterminated cable.

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/4-Meters-Up-/64046/i.html

and search for "(SC,LC,ST)" ordered by highest price first. After the
first 100 or 200 items, you'll get to the ones you want.

For example, here's duplex 300 meter multimode with SC connectors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3/390078528910

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004