NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Aug 13 02:59:08 UTC 2011

On Aug 12, 2011, at 10:17 39PM, Joe Greco wrote:

>> What nobody wired their abode with fiber ?
>>
>> Am i the only one here
>
> I ran a bunch of fiber from the telco rack to the server rack to reduce
> the risk of damage to expensive servers ...  it's likely to be
> meaningless but it is just a little extra precaution.  The server rack
> is at least a little bit isolated from everything else.

That's overkill.  I have very little in the house except what's needed
to support ordinary client machines for everyone in the house.  That means
GigE to several locations, some of which have small GigE switches of their
own.  For example, my wife's computer is colocated with a network-connected
color printer/scanner/fax.  The basement location has a WiFi access point,
the home backup server (though lately, I've started using a colo machine
for that), etc.  For me -- two generations of laptops (one as backup for
the other), and a Mac Mini as backup desktop.  Then there's another access
point, a B&W laser printer, etc.  But anything noisy?  Nope.