Home computer rooms

J nanog at namor.ca
Sat Aug 13 02:02:14 UTC 2011

Charles N Wyble wrote:
> All,
>
> Related to my thread about home data centers, what are folks using to
> store compute gear in?
>
> Mine sits in two racks in my second bedroom. Cooled by ambient AC.
>
> Has anyone built a dedicated room? What resources did you use to do so?
> Are their any standards to reference etc?

Old IBM 32U cabinet in the unfinished basement, half a dozen older IBM
x-series and NAS, Cisco 2950/3550, old terminal server, UPS (have to
upgrade), bix patch panel, etc.

Simple and cheap stuff I've managed to cobble together over the years.  A
lot mirroring the configuration (not the hardware) at work.

Eventual projects include building the room around it and tying the phone
into it all.

It's all for fun, really.