NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sat Aug 13 02:02:12 UTC 2011

In a message written on Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 06:57:56PM -0700, Chaim Rieger wrote:
> What nobody wired their abode with fiber ?
>
> Am i the only one here

Why?  Unless you live in a HUGE house, you can do 10GE over copper
to all rooms.  Copper is infinately easier to run and terminate.
I dunno about you, but 10GE is both out of my price range, and
useless given the speed of my NAS disks, Comcast cable modem, and
WiFI box.  GigE, switched, is quite nice and affordable.

Now, if you have to run to another building on the property (even
just a detached garage) fiber is the way to go due to ground loops,
but that's a slightly different story...