IPv6 end user addressing

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Fri Aug 12 02:19:34 UTC 2011

On 12/08/2011, at 7:23 AM, Scott Helms wrote:

> The question I asked you is why should I as the service provider deploy routers rather than bridges as CPE gear for residential customers.

As a service provider, you don't want to burn an expensive TCAM slot to make
IPv6 ND work for every device a customer places on their LAN.

As a service provider, it's better to burn one TCAM slot per customer for the
prefix you route to them, and leave adjacency relationships within their home
to them.

Think of MAC address table size limits on switches.  Similar problem.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)