IPv6 end user addressing

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 21:54:30 UTC 2011

Eugen,

On 2011-08-11 21:53, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:52:10PM +1200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
>> Well, we know that the human population will stabilise somewhere below
>> ten billion by around 2050. The current unicast space provides for about
>
> How about the machine population? How about self-replicating systems?

I think considering the size of such systems as a function of
the size of the human population is quite reasonable, in terms
of thinking about natural and economic limits to growth.

> How about geography-based address allocation, to go away with global routing
> tables?

That is a whole discussion in itself, but in any case it surely
won't be part of 2000::/3. Additionally, the number of prefixes
needed for any reasonable geographic scheme is quite trivial
compared to the trillions available.

> How about InterPlaNet, such as LEO routers, solar power
> satellites, controlling industrial production on the Moon and elsewhere?

Probably also trivial numbers compared to 15 trillion /48s,
but if not, again, we are not limited to 2000::/3 for ever.

EOF for me on this sub-topic.

   Brian