OSPF vs IS-IS

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Thu Aug 11 13:06:18 UTC 2011

Well up until not too long ago, to support IPv6 you would run OSPFv3 and for IPv4 you would run OSPFv2, making IS-IS more attractive, but that is no longer the case with support for IPv4 NLRI in OSPFv3.

The only reason in my opinion to run IS-IS rather than OSPF today is due to the fact that IS-IS is decoupled from IP making it less vulnerable to attacks.

Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-M, JNCIE-ER, JNCIE-SEC, JNCI
Technical Trainer, Juniper Networks
http://www.shortestpathfirst.net