IPv6 end user addressing

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Thu Aug 11 04:20:08 UTC 2011

On 11/08/2011, at 1:33 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Yes and no. In terms of potential innovations, if enough of the market chooses
> /60, they will hard code the assumption that they cannot count on more than
> a /60 being available into their development process regardless of what
> gets into the router. Sure, they won't be able to assume you can't get a /48,
> but, they also won't necessarily implement features that would take advantage
> of a /48.

They will on their "premium" high price point CPE and/or service provider
offerings.  It'll be a product differentiator.

If enough customers are attracted to it, it'll win.  If they
aren't, it'll lose.

The process of invention and innovation will happen anyway.  We're
not really talking about that here, we're talking about post-innovation
marketing.

Maybe ISP#2 in Australia will launch onto the market with /48's for everyone,
and we'll respond competitively.  Dunno.  Whatever, it's all kinda arbitrary
really.  Not worth arguing about, and certainly not worth delaying
implementation until you finish debating the "right" answer.

> Perhaps far more than most of you wanted to know about navigation, but, at least worth
> considering when we think that all forward movement is good forward movement.

The 1-in-60 rule I learned during my pilots license training is a lot easier
to explain, without diagrams and with no need for trigonometry.

Another useful judgement call when you're flying is to understand that
as long as you know where you are and where you want to be, any forward
progress whatsoever is a positive when there's a growing thunderstorm
behind you :-)

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)