v4/v6 dns thoughts?

Andrew Parnell andrew at parnell.ca
Thu Aug 11 04:01:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> I also don't recommend doing the foo.v4/foo.v6 thing in your forwards. There's
> really no advantage to do it. Most tools either have separate IPv4/IPv6 variants
> or have command-line switches for address-family control if you care.

For most tools that I ordinarily use, I would certainly agree with
this.  The only exception might be from a web browser; while there are
ways that they can be reconfigured to only use certain IP versions in
certain cases, it is probably more straightforward to use
www.ipvN.domain.tld or a similar name.

For reverse DNS, I completely agree that there is no reason to use a
different name.