IPv6 end user addressing

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Thu Aug 11 02:45:34 UTC 2011

On 11/08/2011, at 8:42 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I suppose that limiting enough households to too small an allocation
> will have that effect. I would rather we steer the internet deployment
> towards liberal enough allocations to avoid such disability for the
> future.

I see the lack of agreement on whether /48 or /56 or /60 is good for a
home network to be a positive thing.

As long as there's no firm consensus, router vendors will have to implement
features which don't make silly hard-coded assumptions.

Innovation will still happen, features will still be implemented, we'll
still climb out of the NAT morass.  But we'll do it with CPE that allows for
a richer spectrum of variation than we would if we just said, "Dammit, /48 for
everyone."

It's all good.  At this stage of the game, any amount of "moving forward" is
better than staying where we are.

(which reminds me: http://www.internode.on.net/news/2011/08/238.php It ain't
that hard)

  - mark