IPv6 end user addressing

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Aug 10 22:33:20 UTC 2011

There is some deployable technology that allows some aspects of this today.
Yes, it's in its infancy. Small prefix limitations will guarantee it never sees the
light of day just as NAT precluded many useful innovations from getting deployed.

Layer 3 isolation is only isolation by agreement if the hosts have some way
to get on the same physical or logical LAN layer 2 segment. Otherwise, layer 3
isolation is as effective as any firewall. Layer 2 isolation, OTOH, is both
harder to administer and no more effective than layer 3. If you can bypass layer 3
by connecting to the same LAN segment, chances are you can bypass layer 2
by making that LAN segment one which doesn't go through the enforcement
switch between the two devices in question.

Owen