IPv6 end user addressing

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Wed Aug 10 18:11:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Alexander Harrowell
<a.harrowell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thinking about the CPE thread, isn't this a case for bridging as a
> feature in end-user devices? If Joe's media-centre box etc would bridge
> its downstream ports to the upstream port, the devices on them could
> just get an address, whether by DHCPv6 from the CPE router's delegation
> or by SLAAC, and then register in local DNS or more likely do multicast-
> DNS so they could find each other.

This would require the ISP gateway to have IPv6 ND entries for all of
the end-user's devices.  If that is only a few devices, like the
typical SOHO LAN today, that's probably fine.  It is not fine if I
purchase some IPv6-connected nanobots.  Given today's routers, it is
probably not even fine if the average SOHO goes from 1 state entry to
just 20 or 30.  I have about 20 devices in my home that use the
Internet -- TVs, DVRs, VoIP telephones, printer, mobile phones with
Wi-Fi, a couple of video game consoles, etc.  I imagine that is not
atypical these days.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts