IPv6 end user addressing

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Aug 9 04:30:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> said:
>> Even on a server lan you'll occasionally want to plug in a PC for
>> diagnostics without having to poke in an IP address by hand.
>
> Actually, nobody should be plugging any random device into my server
> LANs, and I certainly don't want to encourage it by having it work (even
> if just for IPv6).

When I send someone on site to do work for me, I don't want to have to
prepare excessive instructions on how to connect their laptop to the
local LAN. I want to say, "This switch, this port" and then move on to
the actual work I sent them there to do.

You're welcome to run your shop your way.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004