IPv6 end user addressing

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Aug 9 00:07:46 UTC 2011

On Aug 8, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Sven Olaf Kamphuis wrote:

> we assign /112 per "end user vlan (or server)" at this moment... works perfectly fine (and thats even "a bit too big").

Sigh… Too big for what?

> - nobody wants to use dynamic ips on -servers- or -router links- anyway

True… Guess what… Static addresses work in /64s as well.

Better yet, your /64 will support adding troubleshooting equipment rapidly without having to hunt
for an available address.

> i -really- can't see why people don't just use subnets with just the required number of addresses.

Because we see real advantages to sparse addressing?

Because it would make our lives unnecessarily more complicated?

Because it will lead to additional human factors issues in most environments with more than a
single administrator and likely even in cases where it is a single administrator?

Because it reduces the potential for better automation?

I'm sure there are more reasons, but, these are just a few that come to mind off the top
of my head.

> take one /64 (for /64's sake ;), split it up into subnets which each have the required number of addresses (lets say you have 2-4 addresses for each bgp/router link, so you simply split it up into subnets that size)

The point of this being? What do you gain by doing this? I've shown you at least a few things you lose.

> etc.
>
> no need to use /64 for -everything- at all, just because it fits (ethernet) mac addresses (as if ethernet will be around longer than ipv6 ha-ha, someone will come up with something faster tomorrow and then its bye bye ethernet, the 10ge variant is getting slow, and the 100ge variant is not even standardized yet, and trunking is a bottleneck ;)

The /64 was chosen because it fits EUI-64 addresses. Ethernet MAC addresses are EUI-48.

Examples of network technologies that use EUI-64 include Firewire, Zigbee, 6lowpan, etc.

So this argument is rather specious and orthogonal to your supposed point.

> we don't use /24's for -everything- on ipv4 now do we :P

Right.. We ran out of IPv4 and stopped doing that in order to artificially extend its life.

> (oh wait, there once was a time where we did.. due to another retarded semi-automatic configuration thingy, called RIP , which also only seemed to understand /24 or bigger ;)

The issuance of /24s was _NOT_ driven by RIP. Rather, the architecture of RIP was driven
by glassful addressing assumptions. There were many other reasons for classful addressing
and it still retains some of those advantages.

Owen

> Confidential: Please be advised that the information contained in this
> email message, including all attached documents or files, is privileged
> and confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or
> individuals addressed. Any other use, dissemination, distribution or
> copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Guess you shouldn't have published it to a public list then.