AT&T -> Qwest ... Localpref issue?

Alan Bryant alan at gtekcommunications.com
Mon Aug 8 16:01:32 UTC 2011

Graham,

We have the same issue as you, although it has been that way since the
beginning. Our primary is Level 3, and backup CenturyLink.

We have been forced to only announce certain prefixes out each in
order to get a balance. CenturyLink has told me that they do not
support communities.

Unfortunately I have much longer on my contract than you.

We are even having problems routing to AOL & Yahoo on CenturyLink.
I've had to refuse those routes from CenturyLink since Yahoo prepends
out Level 3.

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Graham Wooden <graham at g-rock.net> wrote:
> I should also note that Centurylink has been less than cooperative on even
> thinking about changing my routes to a pref of 70 on our behalf (they don't
> accept communities). I think time to get the account rep involved ...
>

> On 8/7/11 8:30 AM, "Graham Wooden" <graham at g-rock.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Paul.
>>
>> Localpref with Qwest on my AT&T prefixes was 100 until last week ... So my
>> prepends to balance between the two was working just fine for the past 2
>> years or so.
>> My announcements to CenturyLink to Qwest are coming out as 100.
>>
>> I am not a direct customer of Qwest, so sending the community of 209:70
>> won¹t work (already tried that).  I am a direct customer of CenturyLink and
>> unfortunately the two networks haven¹t really come together as one just yet.
>> I sent a note to AT&T ­ maybe the can help do something, as I reviewed the
>> communities with them and I am already doing what I need to do.
>>
>> The main problem here is that our CenturyLink connection is pure crap ...
>> Even originating routes from their network, I had them take our AT&T (the
>> other transit at this particular POP) - faster and less hops (go figure).
>> At our other pops with more than 1 transits, we like to utilize both as much
>> as possible.
>>
>> Contract is up in December ... can¹t wait until it¹s gone.
>>

>> On 8/6/11 11:57 PM, "PC" <paul4004 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Qwest uses 80 for peers; 100 for customers.  As I'm sure Qwest had AT&T as a
>>> peer prior to today (and you tagged as a customer), it probably should have
>>> been 80 since the beginning.  What was the local pref to AT&T before?  Maybe
>>> they found a misconfiguration on a router.
>>>
>>> If your only objective is to make your Qwest peering "backup", send community
>>> 209:70 to Qwest and it'll drop your local pref on their network to 70.  This
>>> will cause their 80 local pref peering with AT&T to be preferred.
>>>
>>> I also suggest you read:
>>> http://www.onesc.net/communities/as209/
>>> and

--
Alan Bryant
Gtek Computers & Wireless L.L.C.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication (including any attachments)
may contain privileged or confidential information intended for a
specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are
not the intended recipient, you should delete this communication
and/or shred the materials and any attachments and are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this communication,
or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. Thank
you.