US internet providers hijacking users' search queries

Damian Menscher damian at google.com
Sun Aug 7 03:03:22 UTC 2011

I can confirm the report is about DNS providers that are doing hijacking by
sending the traffic through dedicated proxies, either in the ISP's network
or in the DNS provider's network.

If you didn't see this happening, it might be because you were testing on
www.google.com rather than on Yahoo or Bing traffic.  While the hijacking
*used* to affect Google also, we took a fairly aggressive stance and got it
stopped a while ago.  The fact that there are no currently-known cases where
it affects Google was unfortunately not made clear in the Netalyzer/EFF
reports.  If any of you find evidence of hijacking of Google, please shoot
me an email with details (DNS server, destination IP, etc) and I'll do what
I can to get it stopped.

Damian

--
Damian Menscher :: Security Reliability Engineer :: Google