US internet providers hijacking users' search queries

Scott Helms khelms at ispalliance.net
Sat Aug 6 14:41:10 UTC 2011

Correct, I don't believe that any of the providers noted are actually
hijacking HTTP sessions instead all of these are DNS based tricks.
Since the service providers are also providing DNS (via Paxfire and
others) users don't have a lot of choice.  You can switch to using a
known public name server (Google's 8.8.8.8 for example) but I hesitate
to recommend that to most end users because in non-evil networks its
better to have local name resolution (because of GSLB & other reasons).

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology