IPv6 end user addressing

Sascha Lenz slz at baycix.de
Sat Aug 6 07:47:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

> Let's clarify -- /48 is much preferred by Owen, but most ISPs seem to be
> zeroing in on a /56 for production.  Though some ISPs are using /64 for
> their trials.

IIRC, there's RfC6177 - covering almost exactly what the original poster asked for.
Not sure if it was mentioned already.

/48 is what IPv6 was designed for, /48 per customer (or even per customer-site some might say) is supported by the RIR policies,
and there are close to zero reasons not to use a /48. It also eases your administration
processes and also operational things.

Of course, if you only have John Average residential customers or whatever, use a /56 or /60.
It's your choice. You know your customers best. We're not in a classful world again :-)
But do your math, there is no address shortage, handing out a /48 to every type of customer
as a single assignment size should be the sane choice.
You waste precious time thinking too much about it.

At least don't make your life miserable by experimenting with too many different assignment sizes,
or advocate /64s or something, that's considered a design fault which will come back to you some day.
Read the RfCs and RIR policy discussions in the archives some years ago.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards

Sascha Lenz [SLZ-RIPE]
Senior System- & Network Architect