FTTH CPE landscape

Scott Helms khelms at ispalliance.net
Fri Aug 5 17:27:38 UTC 2011

> I was speaking from the service provider perspective. If I deploy CPE to a customer, I want it to be a router, not a bridge.
>
> Owen

Why?  What is/are the technical or marketing reason(s) that make you
want to deploy routers over bridges knowing that they are more
expensive?  For what kinds of customers?  What kinds of access
networks?  How much do you want to spend on CPE gear?  How much remote
manageability?  How much customer manageability?  What about mass
firmware upgrades, diagnostics, and other OSS functions?  (AFAIK the
only standards based option for management behind a router is TR-069).

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology