dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Aug 3 20:14:52 UTC 2011

On Aug 3, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

No, you didn't. Perhaps you should spend some time learning about
it before you opine on how it should or should not be implemented.

FWIW, I have implemented IPv6 in multiple organizations, including
my home where I've been running with it for several years.

> *Really*?  It bakes the endpoint MAC into the IP?  Well, that's miserably
> poor architecture design.

It can and it is a common default. It is not required.

It's actually rather elegant architecture design for the goals it was
implemented to accomplish.

>>> While this isn't "privacy", per se, that "making harder" is at least
>>> somewhat useful to a client in reducing the odds that such
>>> non-ISP/LEO
>>> parties will be unable to tie their visits, assuming they've
>>> controlled
>>> the items they *can* control (cookies, flash cookies, etc).
>>
>> Which is something, what, 1% of people probably even know how to do,
>> let alone practice on a regular basis.
>
> Yup; let's go out of our way to penalize the smart people; that's a
> *great* plan; I so enjoy it when people do it -- and they do it *far*
> too often for my tastes.

No, my point is that if you use RFC-4193, there's not really much benefit
from altering the prefix, so, nobody gets penalized and you can still have
static addresses.

Further, I consider myself relatively smart and by not having static prefixes,
you're blocking things I want, so, arguably dynamic prefixes also penalize
the smart people.

>>> Imperfect security != no security, *as long as you know where the
>>> holes are*.
>>
>> If people want this, they can use RFC-4193 to just about the same
>> effect. The ISP modifying the prefix regularly simply doesn't do much.
>
> I'll make a note of it.

Owen