dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Aug 3 17:38:21 UTC 2011

On Aug 3, 2011, at 6:55 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

ROFL... Yeah, right... Because the MAC suffix won't do anything.

> While this isn't "privacy", per se, that "making harder" is at least
> somewhat useful to a client in reducing the odds that such non-ISP/LEO
> parties will be unable to tie their visits, assuming they've controlled
> the items they *can* control (cookies, flash cookies, etc).

Which is something, what, 1% of people probably even know how to do,
let alone practice on a regular basis.

> Imperfect security != no security, *as long as you know where the holes are*.

If people want this, they can use RFC-4193 to just about the same effect.
The ISP modifying the prefix regularly simply doesn't do much.

Owen