dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Aug 3 08:04:39 UTC 2011

> > Experience from IPv4 suggests otherwise. We (as an ISP) normally hand
> > out dynamic IPv4 addresses to residential customers, and static IPv4
> > addresses to business customers.
> >
> > - We have plenty of business customers who *want* dynamic addresses,
> > even if static is available as a standard part of their product.
> >
> > - There are quite a few ISPs here that offer static IPv4 addresses to
> > residential customers. Those ISPs haven't captured the whole market,
> > strangely enough.
> >
> > So I completely disagree with the claim that (all) people will choose
> > static over dynamic if it is available at the same price. From my POV
> > the market here clearly wants both options - and both are available.
>
> Europe is a little odd in that way, especially DE and NO in that there seems
> to be this weird FUD running around claiming that static addresses are
> in some way more antithetical to privacy.

I haven't noticed FUD like that here in Norway. From my POV the reason
quite a few customers *want* dynamic has much more to do with ease of
use:

- Dynamic address: Customer connects PC (defaults to DHCP) or router/
firewall with DHCP for the WAN interface plus NAT for the LAN side.
Necessary configuration: Small to none.

- Static address: Customer needs to configure PC or router/firewall
with static address(es). This is no longer a "small touch/zero touch"
configuration.

For a customer who doesn't know a lot about computers and networking
the difference between these two alternatives can be dramatic...

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no