dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

james machado hvgeekwtrvl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 22:37:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting...
>>>
>>> I have a "normal household".
>>> I lack 2.5 kids and have no dog or cat.
>>>
>>> I have my own ARIN assignment.
>>>
>>> Are you saying that the 2.5 kids and the dog/cat would disqualify them? I can't
>>> find such a statement in ARIN policy.
>>>
>>> Are you saying that a household that multihomes is abnormal? Perhaps today,
>>> but, not necessarily so in the future.
>>>

>> Yes I am saying a household that mulithomes is abnormal and with
>> today's and contracted monopolies I expect that to continue.  You are
>> not a normal household in that 1) you multihome 2) you are willing to
>> pay $1500+ US a year for your own AS, IP assignments
>
> while I don't disagree with the assertion that this is unrealistic the annual fee is $100 per org-id for direct assignments.

sorry was unclear - I was guessing $1500+ for ASnumer + IP Assignments
but not counting  ISP costs for a year.  Looks like ARIN is charging
about $1250 per year for a new IPv6 assignment and the AS yearly cost
is rolled into that.  Granted ISP costs will probably be in the
ballpark of  $150 per month for 2 consumer grade connections and more
for business or better connections.

James