dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Aug 2 20:05:20 UTC 2011

On Aug 2, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Scott Reed wrote:

> And just how are you going to make all of us small ISPs, or the big ones for that matter, do that?

Well, if you want my business, you'll do it.

If not, I'll route around you as damage. If enough customers approach the problem this way, it will happen.

In addition, I think a large number of providers are already seeing that static is, for the most part, just simpler
to manage in IPv6 and considering going that way. The cable MSOs are the obvious exception for semi-obvious
reasons specific to their technology.

> I don't disagree with you, but I think the conversation needs to continue assuming that is not going to happen.

Why assume the less likely case will come to pass? IMHO, static is more likely than dynamic given the
forces at play.

> And that may not be what happens within a large organization that uses private connections to consolidate connects to the Internet.

A large organization that does that should get their own PI space and multihome. Why would they do anything else?

Owen