dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

james machado hvgeekwtrvl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 19:51:11 UTC 2011

> I don't understand why this is a problem if your ISP gives you a static address.
> There are, of course, other sources of addresses available as well.
> Nobody has yet presented me a situation where I would prefer to use ULA over GUA.
>
>> while link-local is necessary it's also probably not sufficient.

> True.
>
> Owen

Lets look at some issues here.

1) it's unlikely that a "normal" household with 2.5 kids and a dog/cat
will be able to qualify for their own end user assignment from ARIN.

2) if their router goes down they loose network connectivity on the
same subnet due to loosing their ISP assigned prefix.

3) If they are getting dynamic IP's from their ISP and it changes they
may or may not be able to print, connect to a share, things like that.

these 3 items make a case for everybody having a ULA.  however while
many of the technical bent will be able to manage multiple addresses I
know how much tech support I'll be providing my parents with either an
IP address that goes away/changes or multiple IP addresses.  I'll set
them up on a ULA so there is consistency.

Complain about NAT all you want but NAT + RFC 1918 addressing in IPv4
made things such as these much nicer in a home and business setting.

james