L3 Issues

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Aug 1 17:48:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Khurram Khan wrote:

> Hello and Good Morning,
>
> Are there reports of L3 having issues this morning ? Starting at about
> 10:10 A Pacific, I started seeing huge drops in traffic at various
> sites, including San Diego, Houston, San Antonio, Charlotte, NC,
> Philadelphia, etc.
> Anyone seeing a similar behavior ?

Yes...about the same time here...maybe a few minutes later.  I was seeing
traces stopping at ae-63-63.ebr3.Atlanta2.Level3.net.  Things seem to be
moving again.  I just unshut our L3 BGP session.  Interestingly, while
Level3 was having problems, our local Akamai cluster was apparently not
working properly.  images.apple.com resolves to our local Akamai cluster,
but requests there were timing out.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |