DNS DoS ???

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Aug 1 00:42:32 UTC 2011

In message <09D7A1D0-0B13-4570-8891-835CA6568AD7 at arbor.net>, "Dobbins, Roland"
writes:

> On Jul 31, 2011, at 9:15 AM, "Jimmy Hess" <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there an RFC  specifying precisely what are considered the proper prec=
> autions?
> > "precautions" should ideally be enabled in BIND by default.
>
> Not of which I'm aware. I'm happy to contribute to any efforts you or anyon=
> e else are volunteering to coordinate on this topic, as it's important work=
>  which ought to be done sooner & not later.

Named already takes proper precautions by default.  Recursive service
is limited to directly connected networks by default.  The default
was first changed in 9.4 (2007) which is about to go end-of-life
once the final wrap up release is done.

> > My point here is that...  splitting recursive service and cordoning off  =
> recursive service by
> > using a firewall
>
> Using a stateful firewall is contraindicated.=20
>
> > or  ACL based on IP address, is only a partially effective operational wo=
> rkaround to a  serious defect in the protocol.
>
> It's actually a combination of serious defects in a number of protocols, st=
> arting with IPv4 itself.=20

The real problem is that many ISP's don't do effective ingress/egress
filtering.  This prevents compromised machines impersonating other
machines.

There is absolutely no reason that DSL and Cable connection shouldn't
be tied down to provider source addresess and perhaps a specfic set
of exception source addresses on request.  There is absolutely no
reason that NOC's and other service networks in the ISPs shouldn't
be tied down.  If you to spoof addresses for testing do it from
networks explictly setup to support this.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org