New IPv6 survey released on labs.ripe.net

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Wed Apr 27 16:56:57 UTC 2011

On Apr 27, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Cameron Byrne wrote:

> Can we get mobile devices added to this? Mobile consumes a large amount of
> address space and is especially well suited for ipv6-only operations.
>
> Unfortunately, the results would be painfully narrow.  Now that Nokia no
> longer supports ipv6, there is no going forward ipv6 support on any mobile
> device (htc did something special for thunderbolt, it's not an android 3g
> feature )
>
> It's a very sad state of affairs.

For testing purposes, we try to keep a few phones on each major carrier, and I was actually surprised at how many of our randomly purchased phones did support IPv6.

T-Mobile: Nokia N900 works great thanks to you(admittedly a dead-end from Nokia, but it works with the same level of shell script and kernel hacking that all N900 users expect)
AT&T: iPhone 4 (works on wifi, but not over 3G. Can't even be disabled if you don't want v6)
Verizon: HTC Thunderbolt (works out of the box)

No IPv6 on Sprint, US Cellular or Metro PCS though. They don't have anything that supports IPv6 as far as I can tell.

For me as a consumer, I actually had no idea that the Thunderbolt or iPhone were even using IPv6, it's totally automatic and seamless.  But I am surprised at how few phones/tablets have any IPv6 support at all, with how late in the game this is.

-- Kevin