riverbed steelhead

Eric Cables ecables at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 20:48:34 UTC 2011

Some other considerations for Cisco vs. Riverbed are:

Unified vs. Partitioned Data Store:
Riverbed's data store is unified across all connected appliances, whereas
Cisco partitions its data store across each connected appliance.  This means
that a data pattern seen once on Riverbed will be "warm" for subsequent
transfers regardless of the destination office, whereas Cisco will need to
perform a cold transfer for each branch, to populate the respective
partition.

FIFO vs. LRU:
Cisco's data store expires patterns using FIFO, whereas Riverbed defaults to
LRU (Least Recently Used).  I prefer LRU since it means that commonly
accessed data won't arbitrarily be deleted.

Encrypted MAPI support:
Riverbed supports it, and Cisco does not ("it's coming").

Central Manager:
Cisco requires a central manager, whereas Riverbed does not.  Riverbed does
have a Central Management Console, but when the environment is <10
Steelheads, it's really not all that relevant.

On-box Reporting:
Cisco's on-box reporting is pretty terrible, whereas the Steelhead interface
provides a lot of easy to gather statistics & connection information.
 Cisco's response to this was to invest in a NetFlow tool for visibility,
which most environments have, but sometimes running a quick report on the
box is easier, and this can add to the overall project cost if a commercial
product is used.

I'm sure there are more pros to Riverbed, but this is what I could think of
off the top of my head.

One thing I will mention is that Riverbed's v-Steelhead product, which is
their virtual Steelhead offering, may pair very nicely with Cisco's SRE "UCS
Express" offering for a single box solution.

-- Eric Cables