"supporting IPv6" <--- what it means exactly?

Leigh Porter leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com
Sat Apr 23 12:09:09 UTC 2011

>Is there any clear understanding of what "supporting IPv6" means?

>I recently was told by a vendor that they "supported IPv6", and then
when I went >to go configure an IPv6 address, it was, of course, IPv4. I
asked how they >supported that, and they said that they "supported it"
because they could "pass >IPv6" traffic.

>Well...duh!

Yeah this seems to be a common problem. Vendors who have equipment that
does not support a full IPv6 feature set comparable to the IPv4
functionality usually do the "it'll pass Ipv6" in which case my 10Mb/s
hub from 1996 is IPv6 ready...

Then there are vendors who offer a good IPv6 feature set but who only
have IPv4 for the management. Some DPI vendors spring to mind for this.

So.. caveat emptor!

--
Leigh Porter
UK Broadband