gmail dropping mesages

Alex Brooks askoorb+nanog at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 22:41:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Franck Martin <fmartin at linkedin.com> wrote:
> What is the DKIM check result for those messages?

Non existent, it's SPF only.

This is what GMail sees:

guess record for domain of
nanog-bounces+askoorb+nanog=gmail.com at nanog.org designates
207.75.116.162 as permitted sender)
smtp.mail=nanog-bounces+askoorb+nanog=gmail.com at nanog.org

> May be time to get nanog mailing list DKIM aware?
>
> On 4/22/11 13:24 , "Bill Blackford" <bblackford at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I've recently observed gmail dropping messages or not forwarding all
>>messages/posts  from the nanog list. This is rather annoying.
>>
>>Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any insight as to why?

Yes,  for example, the message I'm replying to had this at the top of it:

"Due to a filter you created, this message was not sent to Spam. Edit Filters"
"Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of
following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal
information.  Learn more"

So GMail thinks it's a phishing message :-/

Quite a lot of my Nanog messages are marked as spam, which is why I
created a filter to not send any messages with a list ID header with
nanog.nanog.org in it to spam at all.

The only way for Nanog to get round this would be for the mail
administrator to follow *every* step at
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=81126  which
basically is:
- Explicit SPF with hard fail.
- Signing with DKIM or DomainKeys.
- Useing a consistent IP address to send bulk mail.
- Keeping valid reverse DNS records for the IP address(es) from which
mail is sent, pointing to the sending domain.
- Use the same address in the 'From:' header on every bulk mail that is sent.
- Using the "Precedence: bulk" header.
- Up-to-date contact information in the WHOIS record, and on abuse.net.

But the list administrator would have to do all of that faff.

Alex