riverbed steelhead

Stephens, Josh Josh.Stephens at solarwinds.com
Thu Apr 21 19:17:41 UTC 2011

I've had good experiences with the Riverbed appliances as well. Definitely a leader in my mind when compared to Cisco and Juniper although there are some new niche players that have good solutions depending on the details of your traffic and topology.

One note on the Riverbeds, if you're trying to monitor their effectiveness and the traffic thru them via netflow you'll need to put them in "application port transparency mode". I may have the name of the mode a little off (going from memory) but effectively it forces the TCP ports to remain consistent as the flows are tore down and reconstructed.

HTH,
Josh