VPN over slow Internet connections

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Thu Apr 21 19:11:13 UTC 2011

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> Well, 33.6k is a Bad Idea right there. :)  But if you're stuck with that
> for technical reasons, but need a VPN for security reasons, it won't
> be all *that* much worse, unless you're doing a lot of SSH or similar

I would think so too. When I first moved to the States I lived in rural
Oregon and used an (attempted) always on dialup for years. I could
mostly get a steady 56K connection, except when there was a nest of mice
in the local phone exchange/switch/box thing (whatever they're called)
or a tree fell in the wrong place or it rained for weeks. Then it would
be a tad slower (the fallen tree would only cause an electricity outage
;-) the phoneline often was still fine), but never go below 33.6K.
Though the mice were annoying in causing a disconnect every half hour or so.

Anyways, at 56K speeds 3/4 of the time and I could stream low bandwidth
real audio radio and do some browsing all at the same time whilst
chatting. So going from that I would say that a 33.6K connection
dedicated to just VPN connectivity would work fine for things such as
sql queries.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--