VPN over slow Internet connections

Fred Richards fredr at geexology.org
Thu Apr 21 17:22:42 UTC 2011

> We are looking into utilising OpenVPN for out-of-office workers who
> would be running mobile broadband in rural areas. Typical data across
> the wire would be SQL queries for custom applications and not much else.

I agree with Patrick, SSH would do nicely.  You could even setup a
tunnel, and the sql queries could hit localhost:3306 (for mysql for
example) and connect, encrypted to a remote server.  At 2-3KB/sec, I
wouldn't expect the ability to have too many people concurrently
connecting to the database.

--
                      Fred