Bandwidth Growth

Sameer Khosla skhosla at neutraldata.com
Thu Apr 21 14:09:31 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Curran, David [mailto:David.Curran at windstream.com]

> The LINX, TORIX, and SIX graphs provided earlier, for example, seem
> relatively flat until the Nov. timeframe at which point they seem to
seek
> a new higher "normal".  Could just be my lack of sleep and my biased
> opinion though.  As one might infer, I'm trying to find evidence
> corroborating my own experiences.  My theory being that all of those
cool
> Internet connected toys (Blue Ray, TVs, Ipads, etc) that hit the
market
> this past year have lead to a substantial increase in residential
Internet
> traffic.  If that were true, I guess I'd expect that enterprise
oriented
> service providers would not see the same uptick as residential
providers.

> Thanks again to all have responded (and anyone else that might still).
>
> David

David, you may also want to try to correlate the addition of
participants to the peering fabric to bandwidth growth.  I know TorIX
shows on their main page the date when new participants joined the
exchange.

http://www.torix.net/

For example, Microsoft jointed on 9/3/10.  You may be able to see a rise
in usage shortly after.

Thanks
Sameer