Comcast's 6to4 Relays

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Wed Apr 20 21:26:26 UTC 2011

On 04/20/2011 04:44 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> The best way to make 6to4 diminish has always been and still remains:
>>>
>>>     Deploy Native IPv6 Now.
>>>
>>> That's a plan and a necessity at this point, but, execution is still somewhat lagging.
>>>
>> Of course, Comcast *is* deploying native IPv6; see, for example,
>> http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2011-January/031624.html
>> It just takes a while -- and a non-trivial number of zorkmids -- to
>> do things like replacing all of the non-v6 CPE.
>>

>>         --Steve Bellovin, https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb
> Comcast was not the target of my comment... The networks saying Comcast shouldn't help the rest of the net by providing open 6to4 relays were the ones I was referring to.
>
> I again applaud Comcast's leadership on IPv6 to the end user, even if they haven't gotten
> it to me yet. ;-)

They already have if you can run either 6rd or 6to4 and are a Comcast
customer, even if you didn't happen to know they had.  (Though they do
plan to turn off the 6rd hack they were using this summer; their native
trial and 6to4 work well enough to not need yet another transition
mechanism).

Their kind offer is to extend availability of their 6to4 relays to
others who aren't even Comcast customers...

(Says this reasonably happy participant in Comcast's IPv6 trial; my
unhappiness is the state of CPE firmware, not with how well Comcast's
end of things work; I plan to ditch commercial firmware on my home
router for OpenWRT momentarily...)
                                 - Jim