Comcast's 6to4 Relays

Bhoomi Jain bhoomij at india.com
Wed Apr 20 02:26:44 UTC 2011

Mr. John,

I thank you for asking the advice of the community.

As our colleagues suggest, having 6to4 relays inside the network helps to reduce the latency.  Opening up your generous services to a larger Internet community by advertising the 192.88.99.0/24 BGP prefix outside the network could have extreme and unintended consequences.

To give you an idea, a lot of the Internet in India depends on the service of the Tata companies, with international routing coming from Tata Communications AS 6453.  Announcing 192.88.99.0/24 to 6453 as a customer, I would worry about its treatment as BGP best-path, in place of closer 6to4 relays.  As you understand, these circuits are very far away, and also very full.  This is not something I would recommend.

Sincerely,
Bhoomi Jain