Comcast's 6to4 Relays

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Apr 19 21:50:14 UTC 2011

On 04/19/2011 13:44, Brzozowski, John wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Since deploying our 6to4 relays, Comcast has observed a substantial
> reduction in the latency associated with the use of 6to4. As such we are
> contemplating further opening our relays for use by others. The
> availability of our 6to4 relays should improve the experience of others
> using 6to4 as a means to access content and services over IPv6.
>
> We have been open about our IPv6 activities and wanted to follow suit by
> reaching out to the community and soliciting feedback before moving
> forward. As always we wish to continue to advocate and support the
> universal deployment of IPv6.
>
> Please send any comments or questions to the list or if you wish to me
> directly.

Presumably you(pl.) are aware of the following 2 drafts, which are in
WGLC now, and seem likely to be adopted (at least in some form):

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-advisory
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic

At minimum one would hope that you're heeding the warnings in the first.
Another view (one that I personally hold) is that any effort you might
be putting into making 6to4 work better would be better placed in
deploying real IPv6 instead; and that the world would be a better place
generally if all of the so-called "transition mechanisms" just went away.

Doug

			-- OK Go