IPv4 address exchange

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Apr 19 19:56:22 UTC 2011

Jeff,

On Apr 19, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
> Are you saying there are people who advocate creating a new ecosystem
> of service providers for supplying several things that the RIRs
> exclusively supply today?

Yes.

> Sign me up.  As a vendor.  I'd love to over-charge for the dead simple
> task of using an API to push DNS delegation updates to the IN-ADDR
> servers, and running a whois server.

My guess is that lacking a monopoly, if you over-charge you won't have many customers.

> If you really want WHOIS output
> with a common, unified structure, you can do that.  Bulk access to RIR
> data is available today.

So your solution is for everyone interested in a common database structure to download the entirety of all the RIR databases and write code to convert the various (changing) formats into a 'common, unified structure'?

In any event, such a use would appear to be in violation of ARIN's Bulk Whois AUP (According to http://www.icann.org/en/correspondence/curran-to-beckstrom-02mar11-en.pdf, ARIN denied bulk whois access for the stated use of "directory mirroring").

> Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how a bunch of different
> entities providing fragmented "post-allocation services" is of any
> benefit.

Some folks find competition in service providers beneficial.

Regards,
-drc