Implementations/suggestions for Multihoming IPv6 for DSL sites

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Apr 18 05:52:09 UTC 2011

On 4/13/11 12:13 PM, Jeff Wheeler wrote:

> However, LISP does have non-Internet applications which are
> interesting.  You can potentially have multi-homed connectivity
> between your own branch offices, using one or more public Internet
> connections at each branch, and your own private mapping servers which
> know the state of reachability from one branch to the others.  In
> effect, it can become "poor man's L3VPN."
>
> Beyond non-Internet applications such as this, I think LISP is useful
> largely as a case study for what happens when a bunch of engineers get
> together and "solve" some problems they do not understand -- DFZ
> size/growth being chief among them.

They moved the problem along, that's what indirection does.

to borrow from david wheeler:

indirection... Except for the problem of too many layers of indirection."

It could be that ultimately what passes for end-system/network
multihoming moved up the stack to application layer overlays that
already incur the overhead associated with building such a topology.