Implementations/suggestions for Multihoming IPv6 for DSL sites

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Apr 18 02:00:36 UTC 2011

On 4/7/11 7:04 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 6:51 AM, Tomas Podermanski wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>    all IPv6 multihoming ideas are very theoretical today. None of them
>> is ready to use. Shim6 looks very good, but it requires support on both
>> a client and a server side. As you can guess, there is only experimental
>> support for some operating systems. Microsoft and Apple doesn't support it.
>>
> Well, BGP multihoming works today quite well. It's no different from IPv4
> and is a perfectly viable technology.

to reiterate, if you are multihoming in ipv4, you likely have a pi
assigned prefix or one that you have permission to advertise from an
upstream. If you obtain a pi v6 prefix via the same channel you obtained
the v4 one it is likely that you simply advertise to 1 or more upstreams
and you are done. I have done this too good effect in three different
organizations that I've had the privilege of working with so far. I'd go
so far as to say that the experience was exactly the same.