365x24x7 (sleep patterns)

Vinny Abello vinny at abellohome.net
Fri Apr 15 17:24:45 UTC 2011

 In a past work life, there was a short experimental run where it was
 believed that the company I worked for could achieve 24/7 coverage
 through individuals being on-call throughout the entire weekend AND
 doing overnight maintenance during the week in 12 hour daily shifts from
 8PM to 8AM. Needless to say, coming from a daytime schedule one week,
 covering all pages on a weekend which prevented you from getting much
 sleep, working 5 12 hour shifts in the following week on shortened sleep
 cycles (over 100 hours in total with the on-call and 12 hour shifts),
 then switching back to daytime hours the next week took a toll on me
 rather quickly. I think we got an extra week day off in there somewhere
 to recover the following week, but it was basically like running a
 person into the ground until they were almost dead, then letting them
 recover while the same thing was done to the next person. There were
 only 4 people to abuse like this at the time so it happened once a
 month. Luckily everyone came to their senses and realized this wasn't
 sustainable and it didn't last for more than a few months total.

 Moral of the story, don't do this to people unless you're into torture.
 :)

 -Vinny