365x24x7

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 15:52:13 UTC 2011

On 4/15/2011 3:14 AM, harbor235 wrote:
> If I were going to provide a 365x24x7 NOC, how many teams of personnel do I
> need
> to fully cover operations? I assume minimally you need 3 teams to cover the
> required
> 24 hr coverage, but there is off time and schedule rotation?
>
> thoughts, experience?
>
> Mike

For what it's worth, was part of a datacenter operations department that
had a 24x7 team.  4 shifts, 4 staff on each shift (1 was supervisor who
did same work as the rest, 1 'point of contact' who stayed in the office).
4 days on, 4 days off, 12 hour shifts, 8-8.  Shift teams would alternate
between day and night (so 4 day, 4 off, 4 night, 4 off, repeat ad
infinitum).  During the day that was bolstered by 6 day-staff, Monday to
Friday, who would have a staggered start through the day (IIRC 2 start
at 8, 2 at 9, 2 at 11)