Yahoo! Mail Issue

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Tue Apr 12 04:54:01 UTC 2011

On 4/11/11 10:47 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:

> mpetach at opstools1:~>  telnet 219.90.94.56 25
> Trying 219.90.94.56...
> Connected to static-host-219-90-94-56.tri.ph.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ehlo yahoo.com
> 554 SMTP synchronization error
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> mpetach at opstools1:~>
>

> I imagine when port 25 stops giving 5xx
> failure message back, mail reception
> might improve.   ^_^;

Works fine for me, your getting an error because your trying to send a
command before receiving the first 220, aka RFC violation.  As long as
you connect, wait a moment without trying to send a command, your fine.

telnet 219.90.94.56 25
Trying 219.90.94.56...
Connected to static-host-219-90-94-56.tri.ph.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 stluke.com.ph ESMTP MailCleaner (Community Edition 2010 beta 3) Tue,
12 Apr 2011 12:51:38 +0800

My systems do it too if you try to send a command before waiting for the
220s to finish:

telnet mail.sosdg.org 25
Trying 2620:64:0:1::2...
Connected to mail.sosdg.org.
Escape character is '^]'.

554 SMTP synchronization error
Connection closed by foreign host.

Its an effective antispam method, because bots rarely bother to wait.
They just blast away

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org